Sunday, July 12, 2015

The Journey Begins

Hello internet friends and family,

Some of you already follow this blog, and I'm glad to welcome you back.  For newcomers, welcome as well!  I am re-purposing my journal-blog to now document my adventures leading up to my departure to Scotland in the fall of 2016.  I know it's a ways off still, but if there's anything I've learned in my adulthood is that prudence pays off!

To let the cat out of the bag, I am planning to attend the University of Dundee in Scotland for an MLitt in Comics Studies. That's the equivalent of a U.S. Masters degree, but completed in one rigorous year (full-time attendance) versus 2-3 years in traditional programs.

Why do I want to study in Scotland?  

Several reasons. As mentioned, it's a one year program, which will significantly cut down on tuition costs.  Even with flights, passports, visas and associated fees I will incur, the total for my education will still be comparably less than if I studied in the States. Also, rent prices in Dundee are lower than what I pay now in Portland, and aforementioned flights are insanely cheap when planned in advance. I'm talking $300 flights form Seattle to Glasgow or London cheap.

Aside from the cost, which is important, it's the program itself that is paramount. Sure, there are art schools that offer "comics" at the graduate level, but they are art based versus theory based.  Also, some of the institutions in the U.S. who have these programs do carry some clout, but are unaccredited, which would be a waste of money for me as I am aiming for a doctorate in the future. In light of that, I've had the pleasure of being taught by some of the same instructors at these schools while studying at Portland State University, so by skipping over the art schools I don't feel like I'm missing out on much.

With that said, the University of Florida DOES offer the program I am looking for, but IT'S IN FLORIDA. Humidity and heat are not something I can physically deal with, let alone the tuition is considerably higher than in Scotland, and has lesser reputation in comparison.

Which leaves me with the University of Dundee's Comics Studies program. It's a well respected institution with quite the comics history under it's belt--the school and the city itself. I feel fortunate that I currently live in Portland, where cartoonists live around every corner, but it feels exclusionary in light of the REST OF THE WORLD that makes comics!  Why would I not travel abroad to expand my knowledge of international comics, foster relationships and build ties with an network of creators and readers--it just seems silly NOT to go.

Also, I think that it's important to mention that the field of comics studies, or visual rhetoric as some departments call it, is still in its infantile stage in the academic arena. What I see is a future within academia as the need for qualified instructors arise as more programs pop up around the nation. This stems from my own experience in the newly founded Comics Studies certificate at PSU, where I've had a mixture of instructors bearing professional experience to those who were just in it for a paycheck. I love comics, and I would love to share my own enthusiasm with future creators and academics alike.

And I've never been out of North America, so going overseas is like a dream come true!

So where am I at now?

I have been researching since March about programs, funding, flights, tips and tricks, and how to bolster my CV to heighten scholarship prospects. I've started the process of minimizing my belongings, strategize what quality items to purchase, checking flight prices on a weekly basis and beginning scholarship applications. I've compiled a calendar of what I need to accomplish when, along with a rough budget of what I need to live there/savings schedule.

Money is the biggest worry, as I need a certain amount just to get my visa before I even leave the country. Hence my dedication to early scholarship applications, such as the Marshall Scholarship and the Fulbright. These two study-abroad funding meccas are extremely competitive, but that's because they pay for everything, plus a monthly stipend. Granted there's rules, regulations and requirements in order to get and maintain the funding, but I'm going to try to apply regardless. I'll be going against Ivy-League schools for these scholarships, so hopefully my unique character and chosen path of study will stick out amongst the corporate applicants.

It's a long shot to apply for the two scholarships mentioned, but I have a contingency plans and back up scholarships and grants in the works as well. I'm working as much as possible, participating in art shows to generate potential income, plan on teaching workshops for fundraising means as well as good old fashioned generosity from friends, family and strangers via crowd-funding.

I still have a long road ahead of me, but I've got the ball rolling and can't wait to see where it goes!


No comments:

Post a Comment